Kaleidoscope was founded by Sandra Roberts in September 2011 in Blairstown, NJ to offer high-quality science, engineering and math enrichment to children and adults in the area. At the time, we operated a small center on Main Street, where a majority of our programs were held. In October 2013, we closed the doors of the center, because we had so many requests to take our programs all over NJ, PA and NY. Now Kaleidoscope is mobile, taking great science to schools, libraries, museums, homeschool groups and events throughout the area!
Kaleidoscope’s director and lead educator is Sandra Roberts. Roberts is an NJ certified K-8 teacher with specializations in math and science. She started her professional career as a biochemist, working in a lab for years. But after having children, she discovered the joy of teaching. Roberts has worked in both formal and informal educational settings, dedicating herself to creating fun, accessible, hands-on science education. She was named as a National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) New Teacher Fellow, recently presented at NSTA’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Expo, won an Editor's Choice Award at the 2013 NYC Maker Faire and an Editor's Choice Best in Show in 2015. Roberts also writes for MAKE on biotechnology and education topics.
In addition to Kaleidoscope's classes, Roberts volunteers her time bringing fun science activities to dozens of events throughout the area, often for free. You can support those efforts Through our Support a Summer of Science GoFundMe #ThankaTeacher campaign. She also works as a volunteer with The Children's Museum of Somerset County and as Chair for the Greater Blairstown Business Association.
What People Are Saying: Testimonials
- "Kaleidoscope embraces those kids who are more interested in science and nature than the latest sport scores. They find like-minded friends and an enthusiasm for learning through doing that is unequaled... KLC makes fun things available and affordable." -- Kris from Hope, NJ
- "Kaleidoscope provides students with stimulating, challenging and fun programs. Sandy gets it. She has a unique ability to connect with her students and is genuinely interested in their success. Her joyful, positive approach and her absolute love for teaching is something that definitely shines through in her students." -- Angela from Blairstown, NJ
- "The children love going to make and create things. The excitement on their faces is so crystal clear and their enthusiasm about what they did is contagious." -- Melissa from Belvidere, NJ
- "[My son] gets easily frustrated in school, has trouble making friends and is usually bored. Whenever I ask him if he wants to attend KLC he is always excited and enthusiastic about it. He talks about meeting new friends and enjoys Mrs. Roberts teaching approach and patience with him." -- Rebecca from Blairstown, NJ
- "I wish something like this would have been available when I was younger. My son was thrilled with the robotics class that was offered and we are looking forward to utilizing other similar programs." -- Jessica from Hackettstown, NJ
- "I have never seen such a great scientific approach to learning, inside or outside of the school system. Every class is well thought out to be both fun and educational." -- Andrew from Martinsville, NJ
- "Kaleidoscope Center provides a warm, welcoming and friendly educational environment in the center of Blairstown. Sandy Roberts, the owner, is offering something very unique to local families. As an educator, of many years of experience, I'm delighted to see a business such as this opening its doors. It is a place where children can learn and have fun at the same time." -- Lorna from Great Meadows, NJ
- "Homeschool portfolio review was actually fabulous. We came out feeling great about our year, and also inspired for next year. Sandy Roberts at Kaleidoscope Learning Center is fantastic. I especially recommend her for anyone who wants to emphasize science in their studies." -- Alison from Harper's Ferry, WV
- "You did a spectacular job! The kids couldn't stop talking about the colored flames. Thank you for making science FUN!" -- Rachel from Belvidere, NJ
- "Thank you Miss Sandy! You totally blew out minds with all your cool experiments." -- Cub Scout pack 68 from Union, NJ
- "Thank you for all that you did for my party. I really enjoyed it. The things we made were awesome!" -- Anastasia from Columbia, NJ
- "I cannot say enough about Sandy Roberts and her incredible teaching abilities! My son was struggling in algebra class at the beginning of the school year. His stress level was through the roof and his confidence was seriously waning. Since the very first tutoring session, Sandy proved to be much more than a math teacher. She is a genius! Sandy teaches not only the "how to" of algebra, but goes much further to teach the "whys" and to make real sense of algebra. She often uses my son's interests and passions when explaining how to solve algebraic equations. Sandy has also taught my son some brilliant test-taking techniques that have proven to be a huge time saver during exams and have really help him to keep focused and confident. I often hear them working together and will hear my son say "oh, now I get it...that makes so much sense!". Sandy Roberts helped my son take a near failing grade and bring it up to an A! He is now confident in his abilities and has even started to ask if I can call Sandy to come help him prep for tests. Sandy clearly loves teaching and really cares about her students...that has been evident from the first day she began working with my son! My husband and I are recommending Sandy to everyone! We could not be happier and are so grateful to Sandy!" -- DonnaLee Cannistraci
- "My son has dyslexia and a significant weakness in math. The school has been great about getting him in class support, but it wasn't until he started going to Sandy as a tutor that I saw a marked difference. He is much more confident and relaxed about his algebra classes. He tells me he has no idea how to follow along in the classroom until Sandy explains it to him during tutoring, making what was intimidating and awful, approachable and understandable." -- Cybele Tamulonis